In response to industry needs, the BRC Food Technical Standard was developed in 1998 to evaluate manufacturers of retailers’ own-brand food products. This standard was adopted by other organisations in the sector in the UK and across the world.
Following the success and widespread use the Brand Reputation Compliance (BRC) Global Standards, the range of standards has been expanded beyond food safety to comprehensively cover various aspects of consumers goods, and collectively these make up the BRC Scheme. The follow list of BRC Global Standards are currently used for certification:
- Food Safety
- Packaging and Packaging Materials
- Storage and Distribution
- Agents and Brokers
- Consumer Products – General Merchandise
- Consumer Product – Personal Care and Household
Applicant CABs will need to separately apply and enter contractual arrangements with BRC Global Standards, a business of BRC Trading Ltd. Applicants will need to comply with BRC004: Requirements for Certification Bodies offering Certification against the Criteria of the BRC Global Standards.
As this is a product scheme (and as BRC also requires such compliance), applicants need to comply with ISO/IEC 17065:2012 – Conformity assessment - Requirements for bodies certifying products, processes and services.
- Sets a benchmark for good manufacturing practice, and helps assure customers that food-related products are safe and of consistent quality.
- Helps with a 'due diligence' defence, for manufacturers of food-related products subject to a prosecution.
- Provides a framework on which companies can base their supplier assessment programs and manufacture of branded products.
BRC Trading Ltd.
An application pack, application form and other relevant material is not available on this site. These documents are available through our SharePoint portal. If you are a body that we currently accredit, you can access this information through the Shared CAB Portal. If you are a new applicant, please complete an application enquiry form. Once this form is submitted, the Secretariat will contact you to advise the next steps. For other stakeholders, please submit your inquiry through the online feedback form.
The BRC standards, requirements for certification bodies, further information and an application form to work with BRC Global Standards are available through http://www.brcglobalstandards.com/